Monday

delight

I thought I would juxtapose the previous post. Famous verse:

Psalm 34:7 "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart."

I don't think I've ever heard it preached but I've sure talked about it with a lot of people and it often ends up that people go at it backwards. They have desires and they want them fulfilled so they read this verse and think, "Ok. To get what I want I need to delight myself in the Lord." so they work on that and basically miss the whole point.

I was using this really cool tool I found called the Visual Thesaurus and here's what I found: pleasure, happy, enjoy, revel in, gives extreme pleasure, source of happiness. Some of the root of the word is where we get our word delicacy. So let's unwrap that a little.

I had to ask myself the question(s):

Do I enjoy the Lord?
Do I take pleasure in Him?
Do I revel (like a dog rolling in the grass) in the Lord?
Does He make me happy? Laugh? Jump up in the air?
Is Jesus the source of my happiness?

Think about that. I mean the Westminster shorter catechism says that the chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. Do I do that? Enjoy God?

I teach about Him. I trust Him. Rely on Him. Pray to Him. Cry out to Him. Ask Him to help me. I revere Him. Fear Him.Know Him. Love Him. But do I enjoy Him?

Lots of people tell me in great wisdom to enjoy my children while they are little. We have a 5, 3 and 1 year old so there is lots to enjoy. And I do. I simply take pleasure in them. In holding them, smelling their hair, kissing their bellies and pretending the tractor plowing the cornfield is a T-Rex. They are a great source of happiness in my life and in Jenny's. I laugh and smile and feel happy when I am with them.

So David in this Psalm tells me to delight in the LORD. All caps. That's Yahweh, "I AM". The one true God. Delight in Him. Take pleasure in Him. Let Him be the source of my happiness.

Dare I say it... David says to feel happy with God. Feel pleasure in Him. Yes! You can't delight without feeling something. And God ought to make me feel happy. I ought to take joy, delight in Him. If I am delighting in Him, if He is truly the wellspring of my mood, my happiness, my enjoyment, then I don't think I'm going to care about whatever other desires I had before I was enjoying God. He will outshine them. It's like using a match to read a book then stepping into the noonday sun. The match can't even cast a shadow in that light. And neither do my desires - whatever they may be - compare with the delight that I can have in God. I can enjoy Him. And He can be the infinite source of my happiness.

Imagine a church what walked through the day full to the brim with delight in the Lord. A people who were happy. Who rolled in the grass with joy because they have a relationship with God. Wow.

So today I will delight in the Lord. I will take pleasure in Him. He will be the source of my happiness and I will have a run with my tongue out and roll in the grass kind of of joy in walking with Jesus today.

Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say rejoice!

Wow. Now I have to stop blogging and translate "The Cross: God's Solution to the Sin Issue" into Spanish. And I'm going to revel in it!


No comments: