Friday

please get a new plate

I really ought to stop saying I have things I want to blog about and just blog about them. So here's a little Random Buffet.

- I've been keeping up with the UN and G20 events over the past few days. I find politics and world leaders generally interesting. But the UN is like a mish-mash therapy group that never does anything but talk. They just let people say whatever they want to say and then ask for money. How do you give a man (Ahmadinejad - president of Iran) who denies the Holocaust a platform for discussion? Can you imagine what people would do if he said that Dr. King was never murdered or that 9/11 was faked? It is almost as ludicrous as saying there is no moon and kittens are evil. The idiocy of my fellow man baffles me.

- People need to stop getting divorced. Quit using the Bible as an excuse while you blame the other person. If your spouse leaves you, that's different. You can't control other people. But if you aren't going to stay married don't get married. Just live together - if your going to sin you might as well be blatant about it. Or don't be in relationships. Didn't we learn a long time ago that lying is bad? Unless you said something different on your wedding day than all the rest of us, you can't stop being married until one of you dies. I know it's hard. Life is hard. Things that are difficult grow us up. And if you want a divorce that's clear evidence that you need to grow up.

- Being a parent is really hard. For me, being married is just fantastic. "A wife of noble character is the crown of her husband" says the Proverbs, and man is that true. I guess that applies to husbands of noble character as well. Anyway, being a parent is really, really hard. It just is. I guess if we didn't give a hoot about out kids it would be easier, but since we love them and want them to love the Lord and understand who He is and to live lives that honor and please Him, we have our work cut out for us. They aren't born knowing how to behave. We have to teach them. The lie. They scream. They press their little (but powerful) wills against our own to see who will win. They make messes and break things and disappoint us. They eat gross things and get body fluids everywhere. They climb on us and poke us in the eye and spread toothpaste all over the bathroom. They track in grit and beetles and smear yogurt on their Sunday hair. And our two children have a combined age of about 5. What will the next decade bring?

And yet we love them. Just. Because. They. Are. That's the answer I give my 3 year old when he asks my why I love him. Just because you are. And all the messes and breakage and punches to the groin and stabs in the heart change none of that. I learned that from God. Because He so loved us that he gave us his only son and the Great Lie is that somewhere, somehow, someone told us that God doesn't love us and we lived our lives according to that lie. But we, if we do nothing else, will have children who never doubt their parent's love. We have and will make mistakes as parents, but the one mistake will will never make is letting our children think we don't love them. And that's what makes being a parent so hard.

That went longer than expected. I was going to talk about my Quest for the Perfect Biscuit but that will wait for another time.

16 comments:

haitimom said...

Son, you are speaking TRUTH. And many cannot, or will not, accept the truth Trying to have a reasonable discussion with unreasonable men is an utter waste of time. You can reason with a rational man, but all others should be ignored or defeated. This defines the UN just as it did the League of Nations 90 years ago. I think that is what Christ meant when he said to not throw your pearls before swine.

Many will not like what you said, just as many will not like what Ian said on his blog today. Such people do not want the truth.

The truth, the truth, and more of the truth is all we can use to counter the error so prevalent in the world today.

The truth is simple and powerful. People hate that.

As Ian Thomas said: A lie is always a lie about the truth.

Keep at it

dad

BloominPen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BloominPen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brandon and Jenny said...

BloominPen,

I have clearly offended you. Didn't mean to do that. In re-reading my words I was less than gracious in what I said and should, especially on the topic of divorce, be more gracious.

However, I don't take back what I said. God hates divorce. I do to. I hate it. We are told to restore those who are in sin. My words were not gentle and I could have made them more so. But the content of what I said remains the same.

To see another brother or sister sinning and NOT say something is the very opposite of love.

Jesus told us that Moses gave an out for divorce due to our harness of heart. To desire a divorce is to confess that our heart is hard before the Lord - a terrible, tragic and sorrowful thing.

I do love people. I do love the Lord. And divorce is a sin that is indeed covered my the sweetest of sacrifices and the atonement of our Savior Jesus. But to view divorce as anything other than something God hates is to conform our thinking to the world and not to the Spirit of God.

The divorce rates among Christians are the same as the rest of the world. How is it that believers claim to love Jesus and yet do with great consistency something that He hates? Jesus told us that if we love Him, we will obey His commandments. To desire a divorce and to go through with one is to disobey the Lord and I grieve that we so easily do such a thing.

I do sin. And I want someone to tell me, "What you are doing is wrong. Stop and obey the Lord." I don't need someone to be complicit with me in my sin. To do so is to ignore our Lord for our own comfort.

I grieve the pain caused by divorce and I grieve how flippantly Christians view the vows of marriage. The only solution is to look to the power of our risen Savior and actually believe the He will bless our obedience.

For people who suffer from a divorce that they did not desire (like my brother), this is not pointed at you, but only those who wanted to divorce and then went through with it (or who are considering a divorce). If your spouse left you, I grieve and am so saddened by the deepest of pain it caused. It is to you (and the one who left) that I wish reconciliation and restoration. The Lord can heal ANY marriage where both persons are willing to submit to Him and be transformed through the power of His grace.

BloominPen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BloominPen said...

Don't ramble with your words. Let the Spirit of God lead you in what you write.

Brandon and Jenny said...

This is Jenny...Brandon's wife.

1st of all, just to be clear, Brandon has been writing, and he is a man.

2nd of all, I don't think that Brandon's blog/responses shows a lack of love. He loves people very well.

Not sure what being under the law has to do with this discussion, as Brandon was only expressing his frustration at how (at times, some) Christians disregard what God desires. He is not stating that they are under eternal condemnation for their sin. Just that it is sin.

Finally, just because I am curious...why only use the King James version? Is sin not discussed at the same length in other versions of the Bible (NKJV, NIV, ASB, NASB)?

Mark said...

How do you give a man (Ahmadinejad - president of Iran) who denies the Holocaust a platform for discussion? Can you imagine what people would do if he said that Dr. King was never murdered or that 9/11 was faked? It is almost as ludicrous as saying there is no moon and kittens are evil. The idiocy of my fellow man baffles me.

Abortion is a magnitude worse than what happened to the Jews in Hitler's death camps...and yet no one protests when a pro-abortion leader speaks at the UN..

These other tragedies aren't even in the same league.

If your spouse leaves you, that's different. You can't control other people.

Different as in 'two wrongs make a right' kind of different? It was Our Lord himself who said that anyone who divorces another and remarries commits adultery (Matt. 19:9; Mark 10:11-12; Luke 16:18) He made no exception for abandonment.

You can no more undo your vow of marriage than you can undo your baptism.

I'd love to comment on BloominPen but I just can't figure out what he/she is saying.

Brandon and Jenny said...

Hey Mark - My wife is pregnant right now - the discussion of abortion makes me want to vomit it is so horrific. But you're right - few seem to care.

Different as in the other person didn't want the divorce (wants to stay married) and so my comments aren't aimed at them.

BloominPen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
R. Marchant Bouvier said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brandon and Jenny said...

Removed R.'s post due to language and asked R. to repost it. Thanks for the comments everyone!

BloominPen - feel free to post. No need to delete a comment unless there was profanity or plain meanness. Thanks for posting.

R. Marchant Bouvier said...

Different as in 'two wrongs make a right' kind of different? It was Our Lord himself who said that anyone who divorces another and remarries commits adultery (Matt. 19:9; Mark 10:11-12; Luke 16:18) He made no exception for abandonment.

Bollocks.

That's like saying that a murder victim is just as responsible for his own death as the guy who killed him.

I'd like to know when a marriage is over. I mean, if it can be created, can't it be destroyed?

Is a wedding where God isn't mentioned at all (Say....a JP wedding) valid in your eyes? If not, why not?

Fishing Cross said...

Our missions should be to our homes first, something many of us forget as we navigate our lives as Christians.
The divorce rate is an issue of great concern, begging - how are we distinguished by non-believers.
In terms of the UN, though radical in dispute of truth, perhaps, dialogue can help influence world leaders to a different posture through a "seat at the table".

Mark said...

Bouvier:

Bollocks.

That's like saying that a murder victim is just as responsible for his own death as the guy who killed him.


That's not what I said. Why not address what I wrote rather than dig up a red herring?

I'd like to know when a marriage is over. I mean, if it can be created, can't it be destroyed?

A marriage is over when one of the partners dies. It can't be destroyed (by man) because it is a covenant with God, to which the parties have voluntarily bound themselves. Since it is God who gave the sacrament, only God can take it away (as the previous citations affirm).

Is a wedding where God isn't mentioned at all (Say....a JP wedding) valid in your eyes? If not, why not?

I'm not sure what a JP wedding is, sorry. A wedding where God isn't mentioned would more than likely not be a marriage. This would be the case in common law situations.

From Carlys Eyes said...

Hey Brandon, to shed a little light on the no abortion protests at the G20, not sure about it but it may have had something to to with who the other protestors were and what they might have tried to do to others. True protestors were few and far between. Urine was shot out of water guns and unessesary actions were taken by many that "protested". It may have been more trouble than it was worth for those who had a true message. We also had a ton of permits and pre registration type stuff for anyone doing a legal protest.

I agree about wanting to see more real issue protestors but I am not sure I would want to be one in down town with those who were.

I also recieved numerous warnings about even approaching down town and what protestors might do if they got ahold of your car. We even had students who lived close to the event who vacated with family for safety.

Its my 2 cents and often that is not worth much.