Saturday

Mapas



I love this map. And it is a map. Doesn't it give you comfort, knowing that if you were lost at Cuatro Caminos Guatemala, this map has been given by the government of Guatemala to help you find your way?

See, for me, the map makes plenty of sense. I live here. See that little arrow? That means, "You are here". See, like everyone always says, you can't know where to go unless you know where you are.

But that's not actually enough, is it?

You have to know a lot more than just where you are. You have to know where you want to go. And you have to know how to read. And for this sign, you have to know how to read in Spanish.

Or...

You have to know someone who knows all those things.

Some of you may think that I know all these things. That because I am a missionary I look at all the maps and know where I am and where I need to go and how to get there. That I have things figured out. You would be wrong.

Some days I look back and wonder how I got here. And I look at where I am and wonder what I'm doing. And I look to the future and I am afraid. And on days like that, I either turn to the Lord or I freak out. Not much middle ground for me.

Yesterday was one of those days. And the Lord showed me these things:

Psalm 32:
6 Therefore let everyone who is godly pray to you
while you may be found;
surely when the mighty waters rise,
they will not reach him.

7 You are my hiding place;
you will protect me from trouble
and surround me with songs of deliverance.
Selah

And then the Lord responds with this:

8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;
I will counsel you and watch over you.

Proverbs 16:

1The plans of the heart belong to man,
But the answer of the tongue is from the LORD.
2All the ways of a man are clean in his own sight,
But the LORD weighs the motives.
3Commit your works to the LORD
And your plans will be established.

This is not a joke. The very day I was looking to the desires of my heart and asking the Lord, "What is going on? Am I insane?" He leads me to these verses in the Bible.

"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;
I will counsel you and watch over you."

Yesterday I was looking at the map and I was just lost. I could see the arrow but I didn't know what all the squiggles were. And I felt afraid. I needed someone to show me the way. And I still don't know the way. But that doesn't really matter. Because I know the person who knows the way. And I tell you what, that's enough for me. Because He tells me He will teach me in the way I should go and that He will counsel me and watch over me.

My job is not to figure out the way. It's just to trust the person who knows the way and enjoy the ride with Him. I know some of you are thinking this is overly simplistic. But on a day like yesterday, I'll take simple and true an helpful over academic and complicated and confusing. Call me simple. Call me whatever. I'm a follower and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I follow Jesus. And He can read that map.

7 comments:

Enrique and Chrissie Coreano said...

We know how you feel. And, we agree, it is reassuring just to let God read the map for us and follow His lead. Looking forward to talking to you all soon.
Congratulations!!!

Brandon and Jenny said...

Thanks! We look forward to it too. Try calling tonight, we're home.

Remember that sign?

haitimom said...

You have found it!!!

"Apart from me, you can do nothing"

Print that blog; frame it; hang it on the wall,and look at it every day.

Christ knew the KISS principle, and we all need to keep it in front of our noses every minute of the day.

We only need to look at the map when we have taken our eyes off the guide.

Haiti dad

Gerald said...

Jeremiah 6:16 is a verse that has recently given me strength in this exact situation. We are praying for you guys and hope Jenny gets to feeling better soon. I miss you guys!

KB said...

Brandon, I wanna tell you how much I enjoy your blog. Seems like more often then not it is exactly what I need to hear in my life, albeit without mexican wrestlers. It is a bonus when your Dad chimes in. Thanks y'all for givin new meanin to GPS for me.
Brandon also a very hearty congratulations to you on the pregnancy! Awesome!

Brandon and Jenny said...

Thanks, Kent. I appreciate that. I can't wait to go hog hunting with you fellas. I can only imagine we'll get plenty of opportunity to chat. Unless the pigs are sensitive to chatter.

KB said...

Brandon, even if we jaw all night and don't bring home the bacon it will be time well spent...


word verification cessess:


spanish for sleepy woman?