Tuesday

Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy

I was reading in Matthew 20 yesterday about the story of Jesus walking from Jericho and two blind men start yelling, "Son of David, have mercy on us!" and the crowd shoos them away as often we crowds tend to do. But they just yell louder because they're desperate, "Lord, Son of David, have mercy on us!"

Jesus stops, asks them what they want, heals them, and they follow Him.

So I started looking at pleas for mercy in the Bible because I wondered if there was an instance where someone pleaded for mercy to the Lord and He said, "No".

There are LOTS of instances of God demonstrating mercy. The Psalms alone are replete with them. But God does indeed deny mercy. To the merciless and those who, in their arrogance, deny God, He shows no mercy. He took his mercy from Israel to judge them. The book of Hosea alone has almost a dozen uses of the word. It is about God taking away His mercy just for a moment but He does this to show them how much He desires them to demonstrate His own mercy! The famous verse, Hosea 6:6, "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." and 2:23, "Then I will sow her for Myself in the earth, And I will have mercy on her who had not obtained mercy; Then I will say to those who were not My people, ‘ You are My people!’ And they shall say, ‘You are my God!’”" demonstrates how much God sees us in our affliction and desires to heal us of it.

But He will not allow us to set the terms.

We must come to Him as He is: Holy. Perfect. Almighty God. And we are to be merciful as our Father is merciful.

But God is ALWAYS (can I make that bigger) merciful to those who plead mercy to Him and come to Him humble and aware of the depth of their need. I too need to reflect that mercy to everyone I see. To see them as they are and love them there. Mercy is what God is. And only in His grace are mercy and justice reconciled.

What a thing to know the mercy of God and then demonstrate that mercy to others.






Oh, and Jenny is pregnant.

8 comments:

brian said...

"Oh yeah, here's an afterthought."

laugh.

Congratulations, y'all! That's so awesome.

(laf - captcha is "shroots". shroot shroot.)

thetaskathand said...

felicitaciones!!! when is she due?

Brandon and Jenny said...

Haha...I thought it would be funny. Just to see if anyone caught it.

The due date is Dec 20th. Our son is the 18th, Jenny's the 19th of December. Could be busy.

Justin and Michelle said...

You two and winter babies! Congrats!!!!!

Michelle

Gerald said...

I am wondering do mercy and pregnancy have something to do with each other?!?!? just kidding, how awesome is God's mercy and the great news for ya'll! Congratulations!

Mark said...

I was just reading 1 Samuel 15 (is it called Kings in the KJV?) about Saul showing the Amalekites mercy after God commanded they, and all their livestock be destroyed, and how this was the final straw for Samuel and God as it relates to Saul. Even then Saul could have availed himself of divine mercy but was more concerned about public perception than forgiveness. Agag's fate reminds us that divine mercy and justice are inexorably linked.

Oh yeah, congrats on the kid!

Alicia said...

Congratulations Scott family!

Ian said...

Hah - well done. Toni broke the news to me this morning. Congratulations, guys! We're a very proud aunt & uncle 3x.

My first words were as follows:

"Again? We need to get on the ball, don't we...."