Sunday

mostly random thoughts

Well it's Sunday morning. Which means yesterday was Saturday and the day before Friday. Saturday we had a great day. Made biscuits, played with the kids, ate a little playdoh, did some yard work, played my euphonium and ate dinner (burgers) while we watched American Idol. Where do I live again? We keep a little USA around.

Friday I went to a pastors prayer meeting in a town about 30 minutes from here called San Francisco el alto. A group of pastors from San Marcos (an hour from me) came through and picked me up (20 minutes late - normal) and we met 4 other pastors. There are only 5 CAM churches in Xela and those pastors meet the guys from San Marcos every two months to pray. And so I got to meet personally many of the guys I will be serving. They want to have the next meeting at hour house - and they want me to teach it. Woohoo! Anyway.

And here's where it gets funny. See, I have a Masters degree which means, including my undergrad, I spent 8 years in higher education. I have a lot more education than all those pastors combined. And so these guys ask lots of questions about what I studied and where. I have a degree in Psychology which, to them, means I'm a psychologist. Like James Dobson. I also attended DTS which is, for these guys, the pentultimate in education.

And when it comes time to pray, everyone gets out of their chairs and gets on their knees on the floor and puts their face to the ground, prostrate before their Lord. And they pray. Wow, do they pray. See, they pray all at once here. One person is the main prayer and the other people also talk out loud to Jesus at the same time. It's not really chaotic as it is a team effort. And over 3 hours we prayed a lot. When was the last time you were in a prayer meeting where everyone got on their knees and prayed? Maybe just the other day for you. Been awhile for me.

But as I was sitting there on my knees with the men I am supposed to be helping I thought, "What in the world do I have to teach these people? They are the ones teaching me."

And I'm still wondering that. I know the Lord will show me. But life is not like a book - I can't turn ahead and see what I'm supposed to do. I can just follow Jesus and as I get on my knees He'll show me what to do. I mean, it's not like all the churches are healthy. It's just that I'm the one guy in this town whose job is to help these churches minister more effectively. And it's good to know I'm not alone.

Ok. Off to make breakfast.

2 comments:

Schweers' Mom said...

That sounds so humbling! (Well, it would be for me.) I am such an awful pray-er. I can't imagine putting myself out there like that in front of others. What a lesson!

Brandon and Jenny said...

Hey thanks! It was humbling but, you know, that's a really good thing. Sadly many missionaries are not known for their humility.

And you are not an awful prayer! I bet God really loves it when you pray. Who cares if it sounds fancy? You ought to hear me pray in Spanish. It's really, well, I sound like a not-too-smart child. But at least its sincere!