Thursday

Good days are fun

Yesterday was one of those really encouraging spiritual days where I'm so excited I nearly hum. Those of you who know me understand that when I get REALLY excited I talk too fast (and usually talk too much) and I am a little hard to follow. Typing is easier because I have the enormous luxury of being able to edit myself. Oh what I would give for a backspace button for spoken words. But that's another day.

I read this yesterday in A.W. Tozer's book, Knowledge of The Holy:

Writing about God's omniscience (that He knows everything)

"And to us who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope that is set before us in the gospel, how unutterably sweet is the knowledge that our Heavenly Father knows us completely. No talebearer can inform on us, no enemy can make an accusation stick; no forgotten skeleton can come tumbling out of some hidden closet to abash us and expose our past; no unsuspected weakness in our characters can come to light to turn God away from us, since He knew us utterly before we knew Him and called us to Himself in the full knowledge of everything that was against us."

I read that yesterday and even though I have read it a bunch before I just was overwhelmed and could do nothing but tell God I loved Him over and over.

Then I get a call from a guy who lives here in Xela. He's a Guatemalan American (a US citizen, married to an American) who has lived in the US for 26 years and just moved back here with his family to be a missionary and do pastor training in leadership and administration. His name is Lyndon (after L.B.J) and english is his first language, though he speaks fluent Spanish. So we had lunch at Pollo Campero (woo!) and swapped histories and got to know one another. Anyway, we're here doing the same thing! And now I have a friend who speaks english and loves Jesus and is here to serve Him and serve others. Do you have any idea how marvelous it is to talk to someone in English about Jesus? To share your life with a brother in Christ? And not have to translate or struggle to communicate your heart? It's AMAZING! We could just talk, man, just talk and just be Christians together. Oh, Jesus, thank you!

So we're planning on meeting together regularly to pray for one another and be accountable to one another and encourage and, well, be Christians together. You folks who live where you all speak the same language - don't take that for granted. I mean it.

All that to say I'm really stinking excited. But I have to go study Spanish some more now. Because that's what everyone else speaks.

1 comment:

Gerald said...

WOW, man i am so happy for you! So much so that i read the whole blog to sarah, which she hates because...anyway i did and we are excited for you! That is incredibly amazing and i am jealous about the Pollo Campero!