Sunday

the gracefullness of people

We're potty training BoyD. I don't care who you are, if you think you have the world figured out and everything in control, I've got some advice for ya. potty train a toddler.

We had a pee-pee poopy party day yesterday. Rugs rolled up. Heaters on. NO PANTS! We had some amazing victories. BoyD twice went in his little mini john without needing help. Just went! He also had a few accidents. How we deal with those is huge.

See, I could say, "Oh, no! What did you do? You were playing with your train and just pooped on the floor? Who cares if you ran in saying, "daddy I need to poop in the potty?" You pooped on the floor. Idiot! Now you have poop on you. Poop on your blanket. Poop on the floor. Stupid kid. Who's going to clean you up? Grow up you little..."

If I heard someone saying that to my son I would kick his...well, I'd be very angry.

Or I could say, "Oops! Quick, let's sit on the potty. It's ok. Accidents happen. Remember the song? Don't worry baby. I love you. I'll clean it all up. I love you."

The Bible tells me "let no unwholesome words proceed from your mouth but only such a word as is good for edification, accourding to the need of the moment, that it may give grace to those who hear."

I can give grace to people by what I say. Or I can take it. I can give mercilessness to people.

I don't want to do that.

Remember the phrase, "sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me"? I'm thinking I'd rather have somebody smack me around a little. Or a lot. Flesh wounds are easy to fix.

3 comments:

Rob said...

I am so withy you brother... Hysterical, yet not so much...

Brandon and Jenny said...

Oh, it's hysterical. More so in retrospect, but still. I touch poop every day. 2 little kids, dog, cat. Every day man.

Loved the turkey pic on your blog, by the way.

Schweers' Mom said...

I used to be an expert on children until I had to potty train my first son. Yup. Pretty much became an idiot right then and there.

=-)

I'm so glad they can manage on their own now! And amazingly, though I was totally stressed that he wasn't potty trained by age 2 (what was I thinking??) he did not go off to kindergarten packing Pampers.

Just wait till you get to teach him to drive. Yikes. Your smart quotient goes down again.