Sunday

Other people

The fact that we need one another may be the most annoying truth I know.

The fact that I myself need other people mainly hurts my pride. But to think that other people need me around just seems silly. But it's not.

There have been books (and good ones, too) written about all the 'one another' commands in the New Testament.

Commands like:


Be devoted to one another (Rom 12:10)
Honor one another (Rom 12:10)
Live in harmony with one another (Rom 12:16)
Stop passing judgment on one another (Rom. 14:13)
I appeal to you...all of you agree with one another (1 Cor 1:10)
Serve one another (Gal. 5:13)
Be patient, bearing with one another in love (Eph 4:2)
Submit to one another (Eph. 5:21)
Teach and admonish one another (Col. 3:16)
Spur one another to love and good deeds (Heb 10:24)
Do not slander one another (James 4:11)
Offer hospitality to one another (1 Pet. 4:9)
Love one another (1 John 3:11 and all of 1 John)

Please go back and read those again. Because as I read them I have been, well, convicted, by how I am in my relationships. With Jenny, with others. Especially those I disagree with. Do those words describe you? They very rarely describe me.

But what is most important is that it is impossible to follow a single one of those commands alone. And I need you people to follow them. I need you because I need someone to love and encourage and serve and admonish. And I need you to love and serve and admonish and spurn and teach me.

We need one another to be Christians. I didn't say we need one another for salvation. I said we need one another to be Christians. We need one another to be followers of Christ - to be a Body. A dismembered body is called a Crime Scene. They have people who know how to solve those crimes. How to look at body parts and figure out what happened and how the body was taken apart. And maybe even catch the person who did it.

I don't want to live in a crime scene. It's. . .horrible. I want to live in a healthy body. And healthy bodies are, literally, together.

I need the people in my church here in Guatemala. We're going on a retreat this weekend. Its 4 hours from our house. Not expensive, but a bit of a hassle because we have 2 little kids. It will be great but it would be easier to just stay home and do the usual thing.

But if we don't' go we miss the opportunity to do what where commanded to do with people outside our family. What a shame to miss that!

So, even you anonymous people our there, I need you and I want you around. Of course none of those commands can be accomplished anonymously but that's up to you to accomplish. I'm just glad to have you around - though I'd rather know your name. Because when you remain not you (because you are not really anonymous - you are a person with a name) you rob me of the opportunity to love another person and to grow to love someone I disagree with.

Anyway.

One another. It's messy.

1 comment:

mutating missionary said...

you will never know how much I needed to read this tonight.
Thank you for those verses, for the challenge, for the truth. Living without real relationship for the last 6 1/2 weeks for really the first time in my life... keeping my head in the books - not looking up - not looking fromm side to side has done some reallly good things for my german... alas it has driven me absolutely mad!!!! I need the body. I need those I love. I need my little gemeinde. And when I am away from it - I get dry, parchy, and a bit scabby - I bark at people on the autobahn - I am short (in my mind) with people that stand behind counters... I need to love and be loved on.
So here I am saying - I am thankful that you are doing what you are doing. Go with God to this retreat and remember that He will handle the details. and... while you are at it... would you love on that wonderful wife of yours for me. ;=)