Monday

don't worry

So the US congress is full of politicians. They failed at what they were supposed to do. I guess we shouldn't be surprised.

It is no secret that I have a job because people give to us out of their profound generosity. We are able to work and minister here only because God moves in the hearts of His people and they respond to His grace by being gracious and unselfish in return. I fall to my knees in thankfulness to those people and the people who pray for us. If we are the light bulb, you are the lamp and the cord and the building and the power lines and the generator.

And I understand that people cannot give money they do not have. And that I could, if I chose, become very afraid at what is going on right now with the US economy. And I have no idea what tomorrow will bring much less next week, next year.

But the Lord tells me not to be afraid, not to worry. Psalm 29 says,


"The voice of the LORD twists the oaks
and strips the forests bare.
And in his temple all cry, "Glory!"

10 The LORD sits enthroned over the flood;
the LORD is enthroned as King forever.

11 The LORD gives strength to his people;
the LORD blesses his people with peace."

Read that again. Whose voice is that? The LORD - "I AM". He who is self-existent. He who has no beginning. He who created with His voice. He is not surprised or worried. His is the voice which levels a forest of oak. Why do we cry "Glory" when confronted with His awesome power? Because it is the only right response.

How bad was it during the flood? For all but 8, it was indeed the end of all things. It was death and horror and judgment. It was, may I say, a lot worse than things are now.

And yet the Lord was not taken aback. He was king. And He is King. And He will be King. Forever. Look at that last verse. What does the Lord give to His people? Fear and worry? No. He gives them strength and peace.

Strength and peace.

Not a joke. Not a pithy phrase. Not a piece of legislation.

Peace. Strength. What we need to make it through today. This day. And let tomorrow worry about itself.

1 comment:

Schweers' Mom said...

Thanks for that reminder. The headline in the Dallas News this morning was, "$1.1 Trillion Lost". Kinda made my heart jump into my throat a bit this morning.

Maybe I should not only pray for you guys, but the folks who support you (hadn't thought of that before!)