Wednesday

stinky sometimes

Ever look at your attitude and say, "Wow. What a stinky attitude."?

That happened to me this morning. BoyD has been sick and not sleeping well and consequently whining. All the time. I mean, he's 2. So all you rod of discipline folks back off. Ask his grandparents - we're pretty strict. But he's having a hard time dealing with life right now. He's tired and getting over tonsillitis and he's not the only one it wears on.

So I was trying to make something he'd like for breakfast and that had nutritional value. I asked him what he wanted and was going to make him anything within reason. He wanted a PB&J in the shape of a dinosaur. Brilliant. So I get him that and some chocolate milk and cinnamon-sugar apples. Look - he hasn't eaten much lately so I was trying just to get something in his belly.

I put it on his favorite frog plate and set it down in front of him. He doesn't hurl it to the floor, but pretty close. Hurling food to the floor is a spankable offense, but he pretty well lets me know he wants something different. And I got grumpy. Jenny came down and tagged in and, as it was 8:00 I went in to study Spanish.

And I sat and huffed and grumped for awhile and told the Lord he needed to help me deal with life. And He directed me back to my attitude. That if I wasn't so focused on myself I might deal with things a little better.

Harumph.

So I decided to do what I usually do when the stinky-attitude meter red lines: read the Bible.

And I turned to Psalm 98.

It starts like this:

Sing to the LORD a new song, for he has done marvelous things;

and ends like this:

Let the sea resound, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it.

8 Let the rivers clap their hands,
Let the mountains sing together for joy; 9 let them sing before the LORD,
for he comes to judge the earth.
He will judge the world in righteousness
and the peoples with equity.

And I thought, MAN, if the mountains and rivers can praise the Lord, how about a little from me? Hasn't He done marvelous things? I mean, just in my own life I can't even count them...and that doesn't' include all the lives of all the people I love. He's given us salvation! Because of Him my children do not have to bear the wages of their sin or wither beneath the consuming fire of His terrible wrath. Because of Him my sins have been judged and no longer rule over me. Because of Him I have a life full of hope and joy and peace and grace. Because of Him...

So some days things start off pretty stinky in BrandonLand. But they don't have to stay that way. Because of Him.

No comments: