Friday

God is so cool

I'm in language school. So from 2-7 every day a tutor comes to our home and helps me learn. Edna is her name and she's great.

I had the idea of reading the Bible in Spanish with our language teachers to help my pronunciation and comprehension and vocabulary - you name it - its in the Bible. But that was sort of a means to an end. I really wanted to have an excuse to read the Bible, chapters at a time, with someone who doesn't ever read it. Such is the case with Edna.

We finished 1 Peter last night. We read this:

1 Peter 4:1 Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because he who has suffered in his body is done with sin. 2As a result, he does not live the rest of his earthly life for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God. 3For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do—living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry. 4They think it strange that you do not plunge with them into the same flood of dissipation, and they heap abuse on you. 5But they will have to give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead. 6For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to men in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit.

And Edna stopped me and said that it's very important that I not just work on pronunciation but comprehension. In my mind I'm thinking, "Woohoo!" and so we keep reading, and I stop and explain back to her what I understand, and she clarifies, etc. Edna stops, begins to cry, and says that earlier today she was very sad and then she thought, "Oh, maybe, just maybe Brandon will read the Bible some more" and that thought lifted her through the day. She said that when I read it, she understands it and the meaning is very deep. And that when she read that we are not supposed to live the rest of our earthly lives according to our own earthly desires but according to the will of God she said that she knows that's true and that she wants to do that.

That's not because I read it well! It's because God is awesome! And now I get the chance to read through Hebrews with a nominal Catholic and in the process of my learning concepts and vocabulary I can help explain that most incredible book to a person very much in need of understanding that Christ alone is her mediator and her savior. Jenny and I are really excited!

Jenny also got to spend about 30 minutes helping by giving her techniques to teach her 10 year old long division. What a cool day!

Oh, Daniel B...um, I gave the Bible you gave us to Edna. Sorry man! She's learning English and doesn't have a Bible so while she was telling me about her never reading the Bible and how much she loves it when we read it I wrote, "Edna - read and study this book to know God, your friends Brandon and Jenny" and then I gave it to her. And she cried a lot more. Thank you for giving us that Bible!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How absolutely awesome to witness the power of the Holy Spirit working through what would appear to be a simple technique for learning Spanish. How encouraging to be reminded that indeed the word of God is still active and sharper than any two edged sword. In what seems to be a world "gone mad" I needed that assurance today.
I thank God that He is using you and Jenny to be the "gloves" through which He is displaying His life, His love and His power to accomplish His purpose for you in Guatemala.
And by the way we are so proud of you both.
mom and dad

Rob and Becky said...

That is downright cool.
Rob

Sarah said...

Wow--what neat opportunities the Lord has given you both to share His love and grace!!! We are so excited for you guys!

Gerald said...

What an extraordinary opportunity, oh wait a second you guys are missionaries to Guatemala!!! To quote Mordecai "How do you know that you werent born for such a time as this!!"

Renee' said...

How amazing! God is definitely "COOL"! Just another example of how God can and WILL be anywhere He wants to be. Also a great example of a more "passive" or gentle approach of witnessing to someone and actually letting God do the speaking! I feel your excitement along with you and Jenny and pray for many more moments like this. Prayers for Edna as well!

Mike Messerli said...

way cool. well done dear missionary! well done......