Friday

D-Day




Nine years ago today I was walking the shore at Omaha Beach. It was the 55th anniversary of the Normandy Invasion and I and my uncle J were so blessed to have been there. It was a cold, overcast day and as I walked the beach I read Psalm 91:

Psalm 91

1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

2 I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust."

3 Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare
and from the deadly pestilence.

4 He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

5 You will not fear the terror of night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,

6 nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
nor the plague that destroys at midday.

7 A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.

More than 10,000 Allied troops lost their lives that day trying to get a foothold on German occupied France in order to keep the tyranny of the Third Reich from encompassing the free world. But not all of them fell. And I was able to speak with a paratrooper who parachuted behind enemy lines early that morning. He was 20 at the time and weighed 135 dripping wet. When he jumped he weighed 185 because he had sewn on four extra pockets and stuffed them with grenades, all of which fell out through torn pockets. His glider pilot dropped them off too low and in the wrong spot and he hit the ground too hard. Once he found out he was in the wrong spot, he just looked on the map and figured the guy who was supposed to be here was somewhere else and so, he would do his job. He found some buddies, all of whom were in the wrong spot, and they proceeded to blow a bridge to cut off German reinforcements.

He was just a regular guy. A kid, really. But he did that which needed to be done.

I hope I never forget that freedom is always bought with a price. The greatest freedom of all, freedom from sin and judgment, the freedom found only in Christ, was bought with the greatest price - the life of the only son of God. I pray I walk in and proclaim that freedom all the days of my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brandon -

What is the best way to email Jenny??? I asked her on her blog but wasn't sure how often she checks it.

Marilee Gundlach