Wednesday

Routine

I never fancied myself a routine kind of guy.

Until I was deprived of it for 6 months. Now I find it necessary. I don't mean that I can't be flexible, but since October 2007 until ah, the day before yesterday, we were sort of nomads - moving and doing and living out of suitcases. The plus was that we were around our families for most of that time. And, goodness, that's a huge plus. I'm not sure the value of a wonderful family can be quantified.

Anyway, so we are back home in Guatemala and trying to order our lives. I'm reading "Ordering your Private World" and really enjoying it so I'm sure that's a part of it. But the thing is that I like routine. Not robotic, Harold Crick sort of routine, but just some semblance of "this is what a day is like".

This morning our son did not wake up at 5:15. We were not all sleeping in the same room. No one was sick in the night. We have slept in the same beds for 3 nights in a row. I woke up to an alarm clock.

And I had time to sit and read a Psalm and some Proverbs and write in a journal and have coffee from my Texas Tech mug before the things of life woke up and needed my attention. And I hadn't done that in awhile. And I need that. Every day. Or at least most days. And today was a better day because of it.

There's a reason the Psalmist proclaims:

"Every day I will praise you
and extol your name for ever and ever." (Psalm 145:2)

I hope tomorrow brings a little more of the same.

No comments: