Thursday

Well, happy Valentines Day

Something about Valentines has bugged me as I have grown older. Maybe it's the social pressure to buy red and pink things to show your affection. I don't know. The same culture that says, "I'll stay married to you until I'm no longer happy" also says, "Spend money you don't have on things that don't matter or else you are not 'romantic'". I guess today is supposed to celebrate romance but I'm not sure America even knows what that means anymore. Romance and commitment go hand in hand.

It also says that if you don't have a Valentine you are some how not as happy as everyone else and that irks me on a theological level. Happiness is about being content and contentment comes from seeing life through Christ's eyes. If you are single today - don't worry! And don't let anyone tell you what it means to be happy. Unless it's the Lord, that is. Then you should listen.

Don't get me wrong, I got my wife something for valentines. But I spent $0! I made her a card with a poem I wrote her - a sappy little poem - that she loved. But I don't just do that on Valentines day! That's what husbands are supposed to do - often - to try and convince the women who are way out of their league that marrying them was still a good decision. Jenny and I both worked at flower shops so we know that today is not the day to buy flowers. But flowers are still really nice.

So, if you love today, good for you! Enjoy it! I'm going to eat my half of the Witman's chocolates I got and hopefully spread that eating out over several days instead of just grabbing one each time I walk by the box like usual.

But romance was around LONG before Hallmark told us how to do it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hola de nuevo Brandon. ¿Cuándo vas a regresar a Guatemala?

¡Qué te descanses en Tejas! El pueblo del Señor está esperándote en Guatemala!

Brandon and Jenny said...

Gracias por sus palabras amables. No le diré cuando volveremos hasta que usted me dé una indirecta de a quién usted es.

:-)

¿Una pequeña broma, verdad?

Anonymous said...

Quiero nada más que darte aliento amigo mío.