Thursday

The mystery of waiting

Madeline Lea Scott is....

due today.

But that doesn't really mean much. Jenny calls the due date a 'due fortnight' and that seems more appropriate. Our first was a week late so we'll see with this one. Everyone says something different about first and second kids and what to do to get the baby out. Eat spicy food, walk, acupuncture, reflexology, pre-natal massage, jump up and down, drink weird teas, etc, etc.

But all those things are just things.

I was reading in Genesis about Sarah's very miraculous conception of Issac. It was definitely not a virgin birth, but she was post menopausal. !. She literally could NOT have a baby. But the Lord had other plans. Anyway...

Her and Abraham did some pretty silly things (like giving Hagar to Abraham) while they waited. And so it's pretty normal for people to do funny (and stupid) things while they wait for things to happen.

But when Sarah conceived, the Bible says that it was "at the appointed time". And that's HUGE! God is never surprised. And yet He, although knowing the future and being totally sovereign, not needing approval for anything, allows us a whole lot of freedom in what we do. That includes making mistakes. Even really big ones. And we're prone to making them as we wait.

People have a hard time waiting before they get married to "be married". It's hard to wait for that. We don't like waiting to own a house, or own anything for that matter and credit card companies make a LOT of money because of it. We don't like waiting to put up Christmas decor (although waiting to take them down comes easily for me). We dislike the wait. Now some of you folks out there are more patient (it's still a virtue, right?) and so demonstrate this amazing peace in waiting for things. Right now we're waiting for a baby to come. And the Lord knows when she's coming. He has her days counted already.

But we still have to wait. And wait we will.

At least a little while longer.

8 comments:

Justin and Michelle said...

Due dates are evil! Tell Jenny I'm thinking of her while she waits this one out...I feel her pain!

Pony and Petey said...

We're praying at the Peterson homestead!

I bet Jenny wouldn't turn down a massage at this point = )

Pony

Brandon and Jenny said...

I'll tell her - it's something I cannot say, "I feel your pain" about. And NO she never turns down a massage. Especially now.

Rob and Becky said...

Can't wait to hear the big news...
Rob

Ian S. said...

Too bad I got rid of my Jeep.

I already helped induce labor with that thing once.....

Schweers' Mom said...

But that precious baby is always worth the wait! Can't wait to see pictures of the new family member. Prayers to you all.

Mike Messerli said...

well.....where's the baby?????

Brandon and Jenny said...

I'm still pregnant! It is 1:12 am on week 40 day 3. It's
cool. Maybe tomorrow (or I guess today...) Pray for me! I want her here soon. :)

Jenny