Sunday

Brrr

Cold in Lubbock! It's cool where we live in Guatemala - but it won't get much above freezing here for a few days. I'm very thankful we have a warm home to be out of the cold.

Did you know I'm a fan of the hand bell? I don't remember there being a hand bell choir around at church when I was a kid so I have no nostalgic connection. But at church this morning a hand bell choir played a great arrangement of "Carol of the Bells" - a second place to the actual choral arrangement - but still great.

I'm not sure exactly what it is that I like so much, but it's a lot of fun to hear. And you don't even have to know how to read music to do it. It's not that it's easy - I actually have no idea - but it looks like fun. And it's a great picture of folks getting involved in the worship service.

I think we get too caught up in being 'good' when we get involved in the body. It's not skill that makes service special. It's just getting in there and doing what you can. Don't get me wrong, I love hearing talented people singing and playing or preaching or whatever. And I appreciate talented people all the more because they are making themselves available. But it's easier to get involved when you know you are good at something - when there is less fear of failure. But when I see someone making an announcement during the service and they are really nervous - I get so proud. Proud for that person, for their courage at making themselves available.

So to all of you who have ever served just because you love the Lord and not because you thought you would be good at it - my hat's off to you. I'd proud of you.

Stay warm out there.

No comments: