Tuesday

Tuesday

I can't keep this up forever, but there is one more thing you folks in the US should appreciate:

Water fountains

They don't exist in Guatemala. But here, I can walk through the mall or a school or a church and if I find myself thirsty - refreshing, clean, potable water - for free - right there near the restrooms. And usually it's cold water! If we just put little signs above them and said, "In the name of Jesus, please have a drink." think how much we would be rewarded. That was only partially tongue in cheek.

Jenny and I went to church Sunday. And we heard a sermon and we worshiped and we did it all in English. Now I know that English is not the be-all of languages, but it is and will always be our heart language. And oh, we have missed it. We sing to the Lord and hear sermons in Spanish, but at this point, it is just not the same.

What a joy to sing and not have to translate! To hear and listen and think and understand at the pace of the speaker, to understand more than 70% of a sermon - sheer bliss! I forget how good I am at English. And please don't take that as arrogance - it's just my heart language, the language I know and from which I filter everything. I don't think in Spanish. I may speak it and read it and even dream in it, but when I sort something out, I do it in English. It was just refreshing to worship again in English. I look forward to the day when I am that comfortable with Spanish, bt that days is not today.

And, by the way, please enjoy his weather. This is, temperature wise, similar to where we live in Guatemala. But the crispness is not there as it is here. We don't get cold fronts. Today is like biting into a crisp, cold apple. Refreshing! Enjoy it and enjoy the Lord in His creation!

4 comments:

Schweers' Mom said...

Amazing what I take for granted! Thanks for sharing those thoughts. Hope you all have a nice visit!

Schweers' Mom said...

Ok - so I read further in your blog and saw how LONG the "visit" was going to be. Maybe "nice visit" wasn't the best terminology.

Welcome back to the states!

cookiehawk77 said...

We Americans are just plain spoiled! It takes a visit to another country to realize the rest of the world (even the civilized parts) is not just like us!

Brandon and Jenny said...

We will enjoy our time here. But you're right - 'visit' doesn't seem to describe it.

Nomadic is wierd.

Though, don't get me wrong, we LOVE the fact that the tap water is clean. It's just amazing.