Tuesday

A wonderful thing about God

He's relentless in His love.

Now, that's not the ONLY wonderful thing about Him. But its my current favorite.

I have been going through several prayers in the New Testament, mostly from Paul's letters, and I have been praying them for me and other people.

Here's one:

Phil 1:9 And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, 10 so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, 11 filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God.

Now take this prayer, inspired by the Holy Spirit through Paul for the church at Philipi, and put your name or someone else's name in there.

"And this is my prayer, that my (or Jenny's, or your's, etc.) love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that I (or Jenny or you) may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ - to the glory and praise of God."

I mean, WOW. What a thing to ask God to do.

But here's the point - it's all 'to the glory and praise of God'. See, it's all about God's glory. The point of praying that (or any prayer, really) is not so that I will be able to discern what is best or even that I may be pure and blameless. Those are all wonderful things - but they are secondary things. The primary thing is God's glory. And out of His glory - He wants to love us. And He loves us relentlessly. Rich Mullins called it the "reckless, raging fury", this unstoppable love God has for His children, even for a whole world in rebellion against Him. And I can not only be loved by God because of Jesus Christ - I can impart His love to others. I can be a conduit, a vessel of God's love to His creation. A creation that is desperate for it. A creation that is full of horrible evil, and even horribly evil people, but a creation God wants me to love. And this is the responsibility of every believer. Every believer. Even more, it is our opportunity. It is our purpose - to love others to the glory of God.

And that is a wonderful thing about God.

No comments: