Wednesday

Darkness and Light

I heard two things yesterday.

I heard from a tiny speaker two horses gallop: a mare steady and deep and a foal sure and quick; side by side, running with joy and health and hope. I heard the tiny heartbeat of our baby blended with the heartbeat of my wife. Two hearts: one tiny and strong and fast. The other calm and strong. One giving life to the other. I saw the light of joy in Jenny's eyes as she heard that tiny thump and felt what I will never feel: a life inside. The hand of God knitting together a life to our great awe and wonder. And I worshiped.

I heard the phone ring at six past eleven. A friend's voice quiet and sure. A man we know, a friend, we rent houses from him. He is dead. He was amable, kind and honest. He was 23. He was gordo. He is dead. His life taken from him. No answers. No reasons yet. His horse gallops no longer. We scramble to ask our neighbors what we need to do. How do you mourn here? And I wept.

For tears and hope speak all languages. Cross all cultures.

And today I have them both.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, guys. I'm praying for all of you.

-Ian

Mike Messerli said...

me too, praying for you. how sad...sin has no bounds, but that feels really close to you, doesn't it?

Love you guys.......

Brandon and Jenny said...

Yeah...its the first time we have actually known someone who was murdered. He was the son of a politician here in Guatemala, a congressman. Very sad. The funeral had lots of security and tons of press people snapping photos. It was front page news in the paper. And you know what we wept for today? We never shared the gospel with him. not once. And now that chance is gone forever.

Laura said...

My thoughts are with you. Praying for your family and his.

From Carlys Eyes said...

Oh gosh, I am sorry for the loss.

Anonymous said...

There is the possibility that somebody shared the Gospel with him before you guys got there. Just a thought....

Honey B said...

Losing a friend is so sad. It takes a while for it to feel real.

I will pray for you all.