Thursday

Were you there?




At the end of Job, God asks if Job was there when He created everything:

Job 38
4"Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation?
Tell me, if you understand.

8 "Who shut up the sea behind doors
when it burst forth from the womb,

9 when I made the clouds its garment
and wrapped it in thick darkness,

10 when I fixed limits for it
and set its doors and bars in place,

11 when I said, 'This far you may come and no farther;
here is where your proud waves halt'?

16 "Have you journeyed to the springs of the sea
or walked in the recesses of the deep?

There was an exploration to the Weddell sea off Antarctica where they took a peek deep into the sea at a place that had previously been covered with sea ice. And they found all kinds of new things down there. "There are less species in the Arctic than around the equator," said one of the scientists behind the study, Brigitte Ebbe, a taxonomist at the German Center for Marine Biodiversity Research. "People assumed that it would be the same if you went from the equator south, but it didn't prove to be true at all."

I think we as humans think we know too much. I'm not getting into a creation debate here and I think science and Christianity can work together just fine, but we've lost our sense of wonder because we think we have things figured out. Somehow we turn assumptions into hypothesis into reality without ever asking God what He thinks.

It makes me wonder what assumptions I have that have turned into reality. Assumptions about people here in Guatemala. People in the states. Assumptions about how God works or how things work in general. It boggles me that scientists completely remove God from the equation and when they find a new species they just chalk it up to evolution and ignore the one who created it. Instead of worshiping God they worship themselves and their own assumptions and theories.

And yet do not I do the same thing? How many times have I come up with something creative and thought, "Wow. I'm really creative" instead of thanking God for leaving in me a whisper of His own creative voice? And shouldn't I know better?

So join me, if you will, in echoing Job:

Job 42
1 Then Job replied to the LORD :

2 "I know that you can do all things;
no plan of yours can be thwarted.

3 You asked, 'Who is this that obscures my counsel without knowledge?'
Surely I spoke of things I did not understand,
things too wonderful for me to know.

4 "You said, 'Listen now, and I will speak;
I will question you,
and you shall answer me.'

5 My ears had heard of you
but now my eyes have seen you.

6 Therefore I despise myself
and repent in dust and ashes."

I'm not going to put dust and ashes on myself, but it's still a good place to start my day.

1 comment:

Joye said...

Thank you for the reminder.