Sunday

The mysterious Who


So, some of my recent blogs may not have been too uplifting. But not every day is sunny so....


I've been wrestling with the tension that God is mysterious and yet knowable.

See, it says in Psalm 77

verse 13 Your way, O God, is holy;
What god is great like our God?

and

verse 19 Your way was in the sea
And Your paths in the mighty waters,
And Your footprints may not be known.

I know God's way is holy but that doesn't mean I know how He works. He makes His way and I can't see His footprints. He's a mystery to me.

And yet Jesus says this in response to Thomas:

John 14:5 Thomas said to him, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?" 6Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

So Thomas (doubting Thomas, no less) has the same question. He saw the Lord's path on the water but what he wanted was to walk in His footsteps. But Jesus didn't leave footprints in the water! The feet of faith leave no footprints. And So Jesus says, "You want to know the way? I am the way. Don't follow footprints. Follow Me."

And so that's kind of where I am. Not where I want to be, but hey. Of all the Bible characters I want to be associated with, Thomas is not tops for me. But I guess that doesn't really matter. I wish I could say that I just believed and followed and never questioned what in the world the Lord was up to. But I do question. He's always brought me around so I figure He'll keep doing what He's always done.

This may not be very 'righteous' coming from a missionary but it's where I am so I'm not sure what else to say. Come to think about it, I guess all those Bible characters asked the same question. And the Lord called them to Himself anyway. So take courage! The Lord is a friend to those who don't understand Him but keep seeking after Him anyway.

2 comments:

hearthomekids said...

Hi Brandon. I love your honesty and find reassurance in your questioning. You are like the kid in the class who's not afraid to ask the questions that everyone else is thinking. So, thanks for asking the questions!

Brandon and Jenny said...

Well, you're welcome. I guess if we're all thinking it we might as well talk about it.