Thursday

The way of things

Deacon is still getting a few bites.

No one knows what is biting him.

And that's pretty much how it is.

The reality is that life doesn't give a lot of answers. Hardly ever really. We have people dear to us suffering after strokes, enduring cancer treatments and grinding through financial difficulty with no explanation.

So we keep on living through mysteries and other such things because, honestly, we're left with very few choices. God is not in the business of answering our every "Why?" He's in the business of being God. And if that includes an answer, then wonderful. But honestly, the answers aren't really all that important. We think they are, but they're not.

I was reminded this morning to study the Bible not to get something but to know who God is. You'd think I would never need that reminder, right? Hardly. So I read John 4 and I was just awed by how Jesus dealt with the Samaritan woman. I mean, and please pardon the vernacular here, but she was to the Jews a mongrel slut. And that's probably being kind. And I'm being really harsh.

But Jesus initiated a conversation with her, not to answer her questions but to reveal Himself to her. And in revealing Himself He revealed salvation to this broken, sinful woman who had been used by many men but never loved by one. Until Jesus shows up at the well.

The text says that Jesus "had to go through Samaria" because it's much better to go around the people you hate then near them. Because proximity always leaves the door open for contact and contact could lead to a relationship with mongrel sluts which, as everyone knows is a no-no for Good American Christians just as it was for Good Jewish Disciples. But Jesus isn't really all that concerned with the rules of men because He knows what's within us.

And I think that's why He's not all that interested in answering our questions or making our life easy. Because He knows what is within us and, honestly, it ain't that pretty. Be Jesus wants to make it pretty and good and whole and right. He just doesn't want to do it our way. And some days I wish He would.

What does all this have to do with Deacon's Mystery Bites? I have no idea. That's why I named this the Ramble Zone. But I know that in seeing my Lord intentionally minister to the rejects I realize how little I do it and how much more I need to. I have no idea what that will look like, but I know it will look different.

And Jesus cares about Deacon's bug bites. Know how I know? Because He cares about everyone. That's why He came in the first place. And so I take comfort, great big down-filled comfort in that.

And the bug bites will most likely stop. Someday.

1 comment:

Ian said...

Pinche Cinches



Said with venom.