Friday

Stop and look

Two days ago I traveled out to a little town near the Mexican border. In order to get there we had to drive around Tajulmulco; a volcano and the highest point in Central America. You see, Guatemala is smack dab in between three tectonic plates. That means volcanoes! The Pacific hits the Guatemalan coast and as you go inland the land shoots up into a string of mountains and volcanoes. Tajulmulco (say it - it's fun - the 'j' makes an 'h' sound) dominates this front.

So we stopped (I, of course, had no camera) to enjoy the view. It was AWESOME and I don't use that word lightly.

One word came to mind: Majesty

God MADE that!

When the Psalmist says, "Praise the LORD, O my soul. O LORD my God, you are very great; you are clothed with splendor and majesty (Psalm 104:1)" he really knew what he was talking about.

I read Psalm 145 this morning and it just turned by eyes toward the majesty of God. And I NEED that because, goodness folks, this world can be a bummer and that isn't all there is. When I was looking at Tajulmulco and seeing the Pacific slope rushing up and the glory of the mountains behind...for maybe one or two minutes I forgot the details and was absorbed in the grandeur, the majesty of God's creation.

When I read that Psalm this morning I forgot, even if only for a minute or two, the details that I so often bog down in and encountered just a sliver of the Majesty of God.

So here's a snippet. Do me a favor. Start at Psalm 145 and just sit down for just 10 minutes and read through 150. It's like watching a sunrise and 4th July fireworks over the Rockies all at the same time!

Psalm 145:1-7
I will extol You, my God, O King,
And I will bless Your name forever and ever.
2Every day I will bless You,
And I will praise Your name forever and ever.
3Great is the LORD, and highly to be praised,
And His greatness is unsearchable.
4One generation shall praise Your works to another,
And shall declare Your mighty acts.
5On the glorious splendor of Your majesty
And on Your wonderful works, I will meditate.
6Men shall speak of the power of Your awesome acts,
And I will tell of Your greatness.
7They shall eagerly utter the memory of Your abundant goodness
And will shout joyfully of Your righteousness.

1 comment:

Mike Messerli said...

Thanks for the great word picture. BRING A CAMERA NEXT TIME!

Glad all is well, and you are already getting to serve the Lord there.