Tuesday

Week in Review

So today marks week one in Guatemala.

It seems contrite to say that we have experienced a lot of contrast but it's true. We have experienced it culturally, emotionally, physically, spiritually. We have gone from Guatemala City where the sports bar in the Marriott has 70 inch plasma screens and menus in English to the guest house in Comitancillo where the Mayan language Mam is clicked softly deep within the throat and there are no menus or plasma screens.

We have been ecstatic and distraught all in the same moment. We know nothing of the culture or language. Spanish looms over us like an iceberg - unavoidable, immovable; while Mam thunders in the distance. How will we learn a language that has only been written for 20 years?

We left the western comfort of Guatemala City where the TV in the hotel played Gilmore Girls in English and my credit card could buy me anything to drive in a 4x4 through the almost heavenly beauty of the western mountains where tiny, beautiful, red-brown children ran and waved. As we ascended the mountains our hearts soared at the opportunity before us: teaching grace and hope to a people who will teach us far more than we could imagine.

I have never experienced God's mercy so deeply as this past week. We have prayed for Deacon to sleep and he does. Prayed for safety and been kept safe. God has gone before us and with us and beneath us and above us and yet He has not made it easy. Easy is overrated. Hardship over glamorized. We have in this one week done nothing more than obey our Father and be sustained in our obedience.

Last night I was discouraged and tired and just plain old emotional. It was annoying. I haven't even been through that much. But God knows how much each man can take and He has given me enough. I turned to the Psalms and began to read the 92nd. I can't even remember what was in it, but as I read aloud and alone I wept as the Lord, my Father, Redeemer, Sustainer, and Counselor ministered to my soul. He whispered something to me as I read His Word and he healed me, filled me and reminded me Who He Is. There were no trumpets or lights, no earthquakes or parted seas. Just the Father, the Son and the Spirit working in the deepest part of a man in the quiet whisper of heaven.

And that was enough. And always will be enough. Forever.



And that's week one.

6 comments:

susan in fm said...

Just figured out this morning that you had updated a few days' worth! What an adventure! Glad you all arrived safely and I look forward to hearing more of your story. Praying, praying, praying. Can't help you with the Spanish except to pray it comes more easily than you think it will. How do you climb the mountain? Step by step...

stephanie said...

you and your family are such an inspiration. i do so much appreciate your openess about what you are going through in this move. my family is praying for yours!

Kathleen said...

Brandon and Jenny,

I watch here, and eagerly await your words. Like the comment above, I pray that all you learn will come with less difficulty than you imagine. God bless your family and those you touch.

Kathleen

Anonymous said...

what did HE say? what did HE say??? I'm so glad you are quiet enough to hear!

We are praying for you guys. I can't wait to see what God does.

Brandon and Jenny said...

Well, since you asked:

Psalm 92
A psalm. A song. For the Sabbath day.
1 It is good to praise the LORD
and make music to your name, O Most High,
2 to proclaim your love in the morning and your faithfulness at night,
3 to the music of the ten-stringed lyre and the melody of the harp.
4 For you make me glad by your deeds, O LORD; I sing for joy at the works of your hands.
5 How great are your works, O LORD,
how profound your thoughts!
6 The senseless man does not know,
fools do not understand,
7 that though the wicked spring up like grass and all evildoers flourish,they will be forever destroyed.
8 But you, O LORD, are exalted forever.
9 For surely your enemies, O LORD,
surely your enemies will perish;
all evildoers will be scattered.
10 You have exalted my horn [a] like that of a wild ox; fine oils have been poured upon me.
11 My eyes have seen the defeat of my adversaries; my ears have heard the rout of my wicked foes.
12 The righteous will flourish like a palm tree, they will grow like a cedar of Lebanon;
13 planted in the house of the LORD, they will flourish in the courts of our God.
14 They will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh and green,
15 proclaiming, "The LORD is upright; he is my Rock, and there is no wickedness in him."

And that's what HE said. Oh, and it filled my heart with gladness.

Thank you all for your encouragement.
Oh, and check out Jenny's blog: http://wife-and-mommy.blogspot.com/

Joye said...

Ditto the prayers. Your post was beautiful.