Friday

Please wield correctly

So I was reading Psalm 3 today and verse 3 really caught me.

"But You, O LORD, are a shield about me,
My glory, and the One who lifts my head."

Shields don't work unless you are behind them. I know that the psalm says "about me" and that the Lord is not limited to place, etc. But work with me. It's poetry.

What does wielding a shield require of me? Trust. I have to trust that it will protect me from whatever is on the other side be it arrows or a sword, axe, hammer...name your impliment of war that shields defended against. If I don't trust my shield I am going to run and find something else. Something I can trust. Something that can protect me.

Now in this Psalm, David is running from his son, Absolom, who wants to kill him and take his throne. That's significant life-stress in my book. David's response is to trust in God to protect him, to put himself in a position where, if God fails, he will die.

David trusts in God completely...and he is not a perfect man! But he has chosen to look to God and say, "I'll get behind you. You will not only protect me, you will lift up my head, You will be my glory. I trust you."

I like the way the Message puts it:

"But you, God, shield me on all sides;
You ground my feet, you lift my head high;
With all my might I shout up to God,
His answers thunder from the holy mountain. "

"His answers thunder from the holy mountain" I love that! "With all my might I shout up to God." I love that too! We have sterilized our relationships with God because when push comes to shove we often trust something else. God can take our shouts of joy, fear, frustration. God offers Himself as our shield and we think, "Hmm. What if He fails me. I'll trust myself or my education or my whatever instead." And in refusing to leap we miss the life abundant because abundant life is walking with Christ, trusting in Him, getting behind his shield and waiting for His answer to thunder. You know? Have you ever shouted to God with all your might? How did He answer you?

Man, I just love Psalms.

No comments: