Sunday

Just a closer walk with Thee...

Ok. So I’m going through Psalm 119. I love it! I mean, I look forward to it like, I don’t know. Christmas. I reading along and come to verse 55:

“O LORD, I remember Your name in the night, and I keep Your law.”

What’s so special?? I’ve read this verse I don’t know how many times and it’s never popped out to me. Ah, but God, He’s not containable is He? I can’t read His word which is “living and active” and expect never to learn something new from a passage I’ve been over bunches of time. God is so unexpected!

The phrase ‘in the night’ just won’t leave me alone. It’s not only in times of light and bright that I keep (or am supposed to keep) God’s law, remember His name. Jesus’ great commandment was NOT “Obey God”. It was “Love God with everything, all the time” Obedience is not the preamble to love. It is the encore. I’m not supposed to just obey God like some cosmic overlord. I’m so love Him as a person.

What???

>tangent<
AH! He is beyond me. He is outside of my ability to comprehend and yet He makes His home in me. He is not a conundrum, but He is above my categories.
>end tangent<

I am not supposed to love God part time. I cannot pick and choose when to love Him and thus to obey Him. Obedience is the fruit of love. How else can Jesus say, “If you love Me you will keep my commandments”? God’s word is not for the ‘good times’ only. No. Instead it is a “Lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (ps. 119:105 – what a great psalm!)

Why would I need a lamp in the daylight? Why do I need my path lit? Because it is “in the night”. I need light when it’s dark. See, I function as though the word of God is useful in happy times. I sing “God’s word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path” with a silly grin in my Sunday best so all the folks in church will think that I’m ok. That I’m obedient. But God doesn’t want obedient robots. He wants servant who love Him! I have it backwards!

Whatever ‘in the night’ looks like it is not clean-pressed Sunday best. It is dark. And probably lonely. And God is there for me to remember, to acknowledge that I am NOT alone and that I am NOT in the dark. When Jesus says to us, "I am with you always, even to the end of the age" He wasn't joking around. He wasn't being metaphorical. He is the light of the world. He is the Word made flesh. He is the light unto my path. In darkness, where better to focus than the light? Does that mean I'm not in the dark anymore? NO. But it means I'm not alone. It means there is a way even in the dark.

A.W. Tozer said, "God constantly encourages us to trust Him in the dark." I don't know what your dark is, but I know Christ is with you in it. He's with me in mine.

No comments: