Saturday

Clouds

In light of personal and world events I thought I would talk about something with a little less gravity.

I really like clouds. All kinds. Especially storm clouds. We get fantastic thunderstorms here in Texas and they never cease to amaze and fascinate me. We were driving yesterday to Lubbock, out in West Texas (for the geographically challenged, we were heading west with the sun backlighting everything), and there were huge storms brewing.

Being that I was driving I found it much more difficult to cloud gaze, but with my utterly amazing wife helping I got a couple good looks.

Have you ever watched clouds grow? They do that. They move and contort and billow and boil and the angrier the storm the more awesome they are. I look at thunder caps 50,000 feet tall (they get even taller) and I am simply amazed at how small I am and how huge God is. These storms which seem to come out of nowhere are larger than even our tallest mountain and they suck up all the hot, awful air, give us rain, and leave things a little cooler than before. What a blessing.

They also make hailstones, damaging winds and tornadoes but those to me just reinforce our limitations. We can't stop tornadoes or ask them to go away or sue them for damages. They are outside of our control. Now God is not a mindless whirlwind nor does He destroy life for fun. But He is outside of our control. He doesn't have to get my approval to act. If He did then only those who I think are 'worthy' would receive His grace. And if I'm honest I would not even include myself in that category. But God is not limited to my categories. He is far more than the sum total of every human thought. He is simply amazing. Awesome. Beyond our control, above our manipulation; He is transcendent and I love Him because He is so.

All that because a storm rolled into town.


What amazes you?

1 comment:

Jules said...

Finally, someone who sees the same thing when cloud gazing. I love clouds too, I take pictures of them often. Usually at leat 5 pictures, no matter where I've gone, are taken up of clouds on every camera that I've taken on a trip. People ask me why.

Because God is amazing, that's why. My favorites are the ones where the sun is setting and the sky is a different color than the clouds, i.e. orange sky, pink clouds. There are so many things that have to happen for that effect to take place, the light has to hit the cloud at the right angle, the sun has to be in the right spot in order for those colors to come through, etc.

And then there are storm clouds. Dark, thick, grey masses of water droplets that can be so threatening yet are so amazing all at the same time. Sometimes I'll catch myself staring at the storm clouds...I am awed at how cool and mysterious they are. For God to come up with something so incredible just blows my mind everytime I think about it. God is awesome!

By the way, thanks for the comment.