Tuesday

Life etc.

So the idea of becoming a dad is growing.

I have read a half-dozen baby magazines and now know about the benefits of breast feeding, how to design a nursery, and the option of banking cord blood (umbilical cord, that is.) I knew nothing about any of these things but now I do and I think that being a dad requires me to learn about a lot of things I have no idea about.

There's all the "gear" like car seats, stroller, baby monitors, a whole genre of diaper stuff, onsies (is there a twosie?), baby slings, baby blankets, baby bottles (and they apparently keep improving on the bottles) and a whole industry around baby skin care products. Wow.

And what if we have a girl? I can't braid hair to save my life. There is so MUCH that I just don't know and it can be, well, exciting and a little overwhelming. I am utterly terrified about bringing a new little wiggly person home and Jenny and I literally do not know what we are doing. And yet I look at other people and they have kids and their lives still go on and their kids make it so I guess we can too.

"Blessed is the man whose quiver is full" says the Psalmist. He gets it. This child is for us an unimaginable blessing. Jenny was telling me yesterday that all her thoughts keep going back to our baby growing in her womb and she was wondering if that was ok. I asked her what else she thought she should be doing and she didn't know. I admit that we are really, really excited but what we are excited about is meeting the child God has created and given to us to care for. What will he do? Who will she witness the gospel to? What people will know and love Jesus because of this child?

I am learning that "I don't know" is a good answer. It's good because it's honest. There are so many things I just don't know. But I'm learning. And I get to learn them with the most amazing woman.

The idea of being a dad is growing...

3 comments:

Brent said...

A few dad related thoughts:

I've got two girls and I can't braid their hair (or my own, for that matter). If you have a boy and let him grow his hair, well, he won't want it braided. Of course, you could always just let them have mullets.

You can stop excessive wiggling by wrapping the blanket in a tight (but not too tight) papoose kind of thing. You're bigger than it in every case, too, so you'll always win that battle.

You won't carry the "gear" nearly as much as Jenny, who will have one bulging primary bicep when compared to the other. You won't use the "baby monitors" or you'll never get any sleep (they pick up breathing noises).

The question of "quiver fullness" is related to size of the quiver as well as bank account realities. Tracy told me that ours only holds two. The psalmist may have needed hands for the fields, but with "dep tets," Arizona State and orthodontia those blessings can cost a bundle in the new millennium.

You got the big picture, though. The idea that the idea of being a dad always grows...and it keeps growing even when they hit their teen years, at which time the growth rate of the idea & responsibility is exponential.

Welcome to the club...and I really hope you have daughters. They're the best.

Brandon and Jenny said...

Wow. Thanks for the advice. I wm and will always be in need of it from those who have been there before.

We hope we have a girl (at least at some point) but we'll of course be overjoyed with either. Since we don't know yet we're just plain excited.

If we have two boys in a row, Jenny said she wants to adopt a girl so we'll have one one way or the other.

Justin said...

Brando, quit your frikken whining. Despite what YOU may be feeling, I think a general consensus by those that know you well and even those that know you so-so is that you'll be a great dad.

Granted, if you do have a girl you will probably fall into the same category as the rest of us: saps. But hey, it's all good.